15 Practical Truths of being a yoga teacher
When I went through yoga teacher training, I learned so much about sequencing, music, themes, and everything that goes into being a teacher. I felt prepared to share the gift of light and love, fully confident in my abilities. [wp_ad_camp_1]
Or so I thought.
About two years later I realize that there is a lot they do not prepare you for. Here are some of ideas of what to expect.
1) Students farting when you give adjustments
2) Students farting going into postures (plow and happy baby are popular ones)
3) That expletive you didn’t realize was in your music
4) Sneezing, coughing, burping, hiccups while teaching
5) Getting asked out on dates by students
6) Horrendous body odor and peculiar sweat stains
7) Studio power outages and other various technical malfunctions
8) People text messaging during class
9) Students banging on the windows and doors to get in if they are late
10) Distractions of see-through pants and thongs (applicable to men and women)
11) Blowing snot from your nose during alternate nostril breathing
12) Nonsensical and anatomically incorrect cues as well as not knowing left vs.right
13) Falling on your face while demoing a posture
14) Snoring in savasana
15) If you teach at multiple studios…showing up at the wrong studio at the wrong time
Sarah Kashdan – A Boston native, Sarah moved to Colorado in 2009 and yoga and teaching became her life passion. She found that a regular yoga practice allowed her to heal both physically and emotionally and now she is the happiest place of her life. Sarah has a master’s degree in toxicology and is also a Reiki practitioner. This combined interest in science and healing drives Sarah’s teaching to connect the mind, body, and spirit. She loves to see people find, cultivate, and shine their inner light. Currently she teaches studio classes at Corepower Yoga, Fort Collins, Mindstream Yoga, Fort Collins, and Old Town Yoga Fort Collins. Find Sarah on Facebook.
Cover image via: @ktfitnessjunkie
Images via: SomeeCards, MarathonTalk.com, Past Time Viewpoints, Know Your Memes, A Hot Mess, Mens Fitness, Flickr, Yoga For Unicorns, Stuff I Stumbled Upon, Crappy Stocks, Quickmeme.com, Kay Walten, Yoga Witch, Eval Blog,