It's Game Time!
Well, America, it’s almost time for the biggest game of the year: the Super Bowl. One American football team will declare themselves “World Champions” even though no other countries are invited (don’t worry, the Olympics aren’t far away). Whether you think it’s Peyton’s time to tie his brother in SB Rings or whether you believe Richard Sherman is actually the best cornerback in the game ("Don't ever you talk about me!"), it’s time to kick back, grab a few beers and munch on junkies – or is it? How about this year you take advantage of those few hours when you weren’t planning on doing anything on your “to-do list” and get a little exercise in?
To help, I’ve compiled a list of Super Bowl commercials that have already been announced and paired them with one exercise or Yoga pose. The exercises are listed in alphabetical order by the half they are scheduled to appear in. If it’s a pose, hold the pose for the whole commercial. If it’s an exercise, perform as many reps as you can between the time you realize what the commercial is for and when it’s over. Rest or make up missed exercises whenever there’s a Bud Light or Budweiser commercial on (spoiler alert: there will be five!). I tried to pick exercises that don’t involve too much moving, so hopefully you can actually enjoy the commercials while you sweat out the cheese dip you just ate!
When your team scores, celebrate the TD with one of the poses on the list for that team! Hold the pose until the crowd celebration ends.
What you need:
- Access to a wall, chair or couch, and floor space
- Your yoga mat (not necessary but helpful)
- Foam roller (again, not necessary but helpful)
- AbMat, if you have one
- Bank of America: Wall Sit (look for Bono between the 1st and 2nd quarter)
- Cheerios: Push-ups (feel free to do whatever variation you want – knees, hands-up push-ups, handstand push-ups, etc)
- Chevrolet (60 sec): Upward-facing dog pose
- Coca-Cola (60 sec): Bridges (repeat, don’t hold)
- GoDaddy (30 sec): Boat pose
- H & M (30 sec): Chair pose (keep your eyes peeled for dreamy David Beckham)
- Hyundai (30 sec): Primal push-throughs (alternate between front plank and downward-facing dog)
- Pistachios (2 x 15 sec): Dancer pose (there will be two: look for Steven Colbert, remember which side you held and switch for the next Pistachios commercial)
- Turbo Tax (60 sec): Tree pose
- Volkswagen (60 sec): Front plank
- Weather Tech: Stationary Lunges (alternate legs)
- Toyota (60 sec): foam roller or leg stretches
- Audi (60 sec): Goblet Squat/Garland pose
- Butterfinger (30 sec): Low Plank/Chaturanga pose
- Car Max (30 sec): Lateral lunges (alternate legs)
- Chobani (60 sec): Sit-down pistol (alternate legs)
- Coca-Cola (60 sec): Air Squats
- GoDaddy (30 sec): Butterfly sit-ups (on an AbMat, if you have one)
- Hyundai (30 sec): Hold hover raise or Cat/cow
- Intuit (30 sec): Dips (on chair, couch, or coffee table)
- Jaguar (60 sec): Flutter kicks (“British Villains”)
- Kia (60 sec): Crab Walks or hold position with HIPS UP!
- Oikos/Dannon (30 sec): Superman/back extension (look for dreamy John Stamos and his Full House gang)
- SodaStream (30 sec): Chair pose lunges with twist (alternate legs) (watch for Scarlett Johannsen)
Bird (Seahawks) yoga poses:
- Bird of paradise
- Peacock pose
Horse (Broncos) yoga poses:
- Horse stance
- Horse rider’s pose (aka Crescent lunge)
- Horse pose
- Cowboy Negotiation pose
- Cactus pose
For extra action, check out 10 Yoga Poses to Get You Game Day Ready!
Rachel Wiegand has been an athlete her whole life but yoga has been the only constant throughout moves and life changes. A former personal trainer, she is now a practicing chiropractor in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and enjoys helping patients find a physical activity that fits their lifestyle best. In addition to yoga, she practices Pilates and is an avid Crossfitter. On her weekends you can find her teaching yoga at CrossFit Sheboygan, with her hubby at Lake Michigan on her paddleboard, or at the dog park with her boxer, Dug.