[wp_ad_camp_1] When you're gluten-free, finding healthy, on-the-go snacks can be difficult—or expensive. I can't remember when I discovered the recipe for Morning Glory Muffins, which first appeared in a slightly altered form in Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organics Cookbook, but they've been a breakfast, snack, and sweet present go-to ever since.
The beauty of these muffins is you can add or subtract ingredients as you'd like and they'll still be delicious. Looking for a low-glycemic alternative? Use coconut flour instead of your typical rice-heavy gluten-free mixes. Want to go egg-less? Check out these alternatives.
Make this recipe your own, then enjoy, and best of all—pass it on!
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix (I use garbanzo bean or coconut flour, but if your mix contains xanthan gum or guar gum don't add the additional 1 teaspoon gum to the recipe)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots (approximately 4 large carrots)
- 1 large peeled and shredded apple
- 2 bananas, diced
- 3/4 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 1 c. gluten-free granola or 2 tbsp. flax seeds for topping
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: About 2 dozen standard size muffins
Images via: @kmspin