"Let's talk about sex baby..."
That got your attention! We all remember the famous duo Salt & Pepper from the 80’s, right?
Is yoga really good for your libido?
Absolutely! Great sex is one of the ultimate mind-body experiences. So is great yoga.
It’s widely known that yoga can give you greater flexibility, boost body-confidence, improve our blood flow, build better muscle tone, increase our energy levels, and is a surefire way to release stress and calm the mind. Sounds good so far. Now, yogis and experts alike believe that it just might put some VA VA voom into your sex life.
There is now scientific evidence to prove it! The Journal of Sexual Medicine in 2008 reported that women who practiced yoga had more desire to have sex and experienced better orgasms.
Fun fact - yoga literally means union in Sanskrit. It focuses on bringing the body into harmony with the mind and spirit. There are heaps of studies out there that highlight how stress and poor body image affect your libido. Yoga helps us to re-connect and re-balance from the inside. When you learn to tap into self-love and acceptance, then our inhibitions seem to melt away. Self-doubt, body insecurities, wondering how you are performing or what your partner may be thinking simply washes away, leaving you with happiness, sexiness, wonderfulness and an abundance of fabulous times with your partner.
Perhaps most importantly, yoga teaches true mindfulness—living only in the present moment. This then translates into other parts of your life, including between the sheets.
Still with me?
The Sexual Benefits of Yoga
- Increased blood flow. When all the blood rushes directly to your sweet spots, you immediately become hot. The heat combined with blood flow will increase the sensitivity, as well as desire for sex.
- Stronger muscles = stronger orgasms. Yoga tones and strengthens your entire core. The more you work these muscles the easier certain moves are and the stronger the contractions that lead to more intense orgasms.
- Increased confidence.Calming the mind and focusing on your breath during yoga helps you to become more aware of yourself and your needs. Know exactly what you want and you will become instantly satisfied both sexually, and psychologically. Not to mention that feeling super fit and energized is an undeniable turn-on!
- Increased flexibility.Tension in the hips can affect how your pelvis moves. Stiff muscles can make you feel uncomfortable and reduce your ability to orgasm. Yoga can reduce pain and tension, while helping to relax the hips.
- Sexy chakras!Yoga helps to open your chakras! According to Eastern philosophy, your sex life is governed by chakras. When chakras are open and working well, your sexual adventures will be exciting and energetic! Your three sexiest chakras are the root chakra , sacral chakra, and heart chakra.
- Sensuality. On a subtle level, yoga helps to develop a heightened awareness of sensations in your body and teaches you to embrace every single one – including the really fabulous ones during sex.
- Being present.Yoga helps to keep you grounded in your body, away from the thoughts in your mind, allowing yourself to enjoy every second of the here, and now. Which again, leads to great sex!
- Higher energy levels.Raise your hand if you have ever felt the stirrings of arousal only to be so tired that you opted for bed instead. Yoga, without fail, increases your energy levels and helps you to feel alive and ready to get out there and live a little.
- Increased levels of intimacy. Yoga allows us to become more comfortable in vulnerable positions, whether it is a crazy arm balance or inversion, or an intimate moment off the mat with our partners.
All of the above leads to what everyone dreams about – better orgasms!
You can do these as a workout routine, or just try your favorites whenever you want to get in the mood!
Cat & Cow
- Start in tabletop, with shoulders directly above wrists and hips over knees.
- Inhale and arch back (cow), lifting chest and heart away from belly and reaching tailbone to the sky.
- Exhale and round back up (cat), drawing belly into spine and separating shoulder blades.
- Repeat 5 times.
Benefits:You strengthen the Kegel muscles – those wonderful muscles that contract during orgasm – as you control your tailbone moving from cat to cow.
- Bring the soles of the feet together, bending the knees and allowing them to drop towards the floor.
- Hold onto toes with both hands. Inhale, and lengthen your torso. Exhale, and hinge forward from the hips. The aim is to lower your head towards toes.
- Hold pose for 10 breaths.
Benefits:This pose and the wide-legged straddle are great for low libido. It stretches the inner thighs, and opens the hips for a wider range of motion. It improves blood flow to the pelvic area immediately, and where the blood goes so does the energy and vitality. Circulation and increased blood flow are directly linked to level of arousal.
- Sit upright, spreading legs wide apart.
- Press the back of legs into the floor, pointing knees and toes to the sky.
- Inhale, and lengthen torso. Exhale and lean forward from hips reaching to take hold of big toes.
- Hold for 10 breaths, with every inhale lengthening the torso and with every exhale extending the chest farther forward as you lower down.
Benefits:Same as the fabulous Butterfly
- From plank, steps your left leg forward to the outside of your left hand.
- Keep the back leg straight and lifted. You can modify by lowering this knee to the floor.
- Start on your hands, slowly making your way to your forearms.
- Hold for 10 breaths. Take long and deep inhales and exhales and stay focused.
Benefits:Fantastic for opening up the hips and slowing down the mind, creating a total chilled mode. By bringing your attention to your breath, you move away from your thoughts, and are brought into the present moment. This enhances your ability to create a sense of sexual intimacy with your partner.
- Ground down through left foot as you bend the same knee.
- Lift right foot, cross it over left knee, then bring the front of right foot around left calf, or wherever you can reach. (Modify by bringing outer right ankle to the left thigh just above the knee).
- Sit down into your buttocks and tuck tailbone under while raising chest towards the sky.
- Inhale arms ahead of you. Cross the left arm over right, fold forearms at the elbow and wrap around each other to bring palms together. Lift elbows towards the sky and enjoy the stretch in the sweet spot at the back of the heart.
- Hold for 5 breaths, release and move to other side.
Benefits:Eagle pose is so sexy; it is even in the Kama Sutra. When you release the legs, all of the blood comes flooding through the cervix, which prepares the whole area for some sweet, sweet, loving! Holding the pose itself requires a sense of poise and steadiness, which is beneficial if you feel stressed. Your mind has to focus, helping you to slow life down a little, allowing you to stay present and enjoy the breath taking moments to follow!
- Start in a kneeling position with the torso upright.
- Slowly lean back and reach one hand at a time to touch your heel, while looking straight up.
- Hips are pushed forward as if resting alongside a wall. Head and neck are relaxed between the shoulder blades.
- Hold for between 5 and 10 breaths, engaging in deep inhales and exhales. Protect your lower back with your hands as you move out of the pose.
Benefits: This is a heart-opening pose. Love, energy and breath come from the heart chakra. It is also very energizing.
- Lie on your back, bend knees and place feet hip width apart and 5 inches beneath buttocks.
- Inhale hips towards the sky. Interlace fingers beneath the hips, while drawing shoulder blades together keeping both on the mat.
- Hold for 10 breaths, taking deep inhales and exhales.
Benefits:Bridge pose not only provides an intense hip flexor stretch, it also tones the vagina and improves orgasms. Holding the bridge is similar to doing a Kegel, because you squeeze the same pelvic muscles.
- From shoulder stand lower your feet to the floor, keeping both legs straight. If you cannot comfortably lower toes to the ground then return to shoulder stand.
- Hold for 10 breaths.
Benefits: Plow allows blood to flow straight to the hips and brain that calms the mind and invigorates the body. Also, if you think about it, while you are in plow you are looking straight at your hips and groin and connecting to that area visually, which could be an awesome aphrodisiac.
Lie comfortably on back. Rest your arms alongside your body, with palms facing upwards. Rest legs as wide apart as feels comfortable, letting feet relax and roll to either side of mat.
Rest here for 5 minutes, allowing the body to be completely still.
Benefits:How often do you sit still? Realistically? I am going to guess the answer is “not often”. Some people say that savasana is the hardest pose to perfect. Most people are so inside their heads that they can’t get into their bodies. Take a moment, and try this pose. Anything that helps you to simply be present in the moment is going to help you feel more sensual.
Final Exercise – saving the best for last
The most common sexual yoga exercise used to enhance sexual pleasure is a posture that can be done anywhere. It involves contracting and releasing the muscles of your pubic area as if you want to stop the flow or urine. You can do this 10 times, holding to a count of 5 each time. This will help to strengthen the muscles.